Friday, January 18, 2013

Prayer....it works!


I have been working with a student in the classroom I am subbing for.  He is a student that gets in trouble a lot, gets angry, etc.  I started a behavior contract with him on my second day of subbing.  It has made a world of difference.  He does not seem angry or defiant and really seems to want to make me happy with him.  So, I have been planning this thing called Winterfest for several months…..It is basically winter camp.  Well, yesterday I started thinking that it would be really cool if I could get this kid to camp.  The problem is that as a teacher in a public school, I am very limited in what I can say to the students in regards to religion.  So, I started praying for God to show me how I could get him invited.  This morning out of the blue, he walked up and said, “Mrs. Thomas, I just started going to church.  They pick me up on a bus.  Isn’t that cool!”  I almost started laughing out loud because that was very clearly a God thing!  So, I asked around to see how I could ask him….I finally asked the principal and he gave me permission to call the mom and see if she would be interested in letting him attend.  She said yes.  But, I did hit another road block…when I told him about it, he said he did not want to go.  He was nervous about being away from mom, nervous he would have to share a bed, nervous that he would not be liked by the other kids, basically just scared overall.  As we left it at the end of the day, he is thinking it over.  I really hope that he will come and I am praying that God will work on his heart to get him here…

No comments:

Post a Comment