Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Where has the time gone?

I did not realize how long it has been since I wrote a post!  Seriously, 3 years...WHAT?!?  

Anyway, I just want to say how much I love how the Holy Spirit works!  A few times this week, I have heard one of the messages on Air1 that talked about Moses wandering through the desert for 40 years even though you could literally walk across that desert in a matter of months.  It said that God told him that he kept testing them to test their faith and because they did not have faith, they had to keep wandering until they figured out they needed God.  

The message talked about how it is important not so much how you act when you feel God's presence (like during mountain top experiences), but how you act when you do NOT feel his presence.  It kind of hit me because normally I  feel pretty in tune with the Holy Spirit and hear God's voice, but honestly lately I have felt pretty disconnected.  Disconnected from God, my husband, my kids, my friends, my job...all of it--just disconnected.  

So, on the way in to town today (an hour drive) I was sort of talking to God and thinking about a conversation I need to have with Roy, getting more involved at church, and reconnecting with friends.  I got to town and met my friend to pick up the item I was buying from her and we chatted for a little bit.  I have not seen her in forever--like a few years--and I realized I really missed her.  It was great just having a few minutes to have a live conversation--like not on Facebook--and just truly CONNECT.  

I left there and got a call from another friend who is going through some tough stuff.  I was parked in my car at Walmart getting ready to go in and was telling her about a faith based counseling program that Indiana Wesleyan offers for free.  The conversation with her was short but again it was just nice to connect.  It was funny because I feel guilty often because although I love this friend dearly, months and even years go by sometimes when we don't talk.  Not because I don't want to...but life just gets busy.  She said she felt the same way and that she felt I was a true friend because I was one of those people that you can not talk to forever and then you pick up the phone and it is like no time has passed.  It made my day to hear her say that!

I shopped for awhile in Walmart--like maybe an hour and when I came out to my car there was a lady in the car next to me (and she had been there the whole time).  She apologized for "eavesdropping" but said she could not help but hear the advice I was giving my friend and asked me about Indiana Wesleyan and their counseling program.  She said she sometimes gets asked to counsel people but doesn't know where to recommend that they go when it is beyond what she feels comfortable doing.  She said she didn't really know anywhere that was faith based.  We talked for a little bit, realized we have some common friends, and I thanked her for "eavesdropping" and having the courage to ask me about it.  I told her I thought it was the Holy Spirit...and I really do think it was.

All of these things could be chalked up as coincidence, but I don't think so...This is exactly how I have seen God work time after time!  I have been alive 47 years...and I would say I have had 47 years of faith challenges.  I would be lying if I said I don't struggle to keep my relationship with God strong.  If I am really honest....I struggle with keeping all of my relationships strong.  I don't know if the people in my life would say that they think I struggle, but I feel like I do.  It is so easy to get busy, self absorbed, distracted, unfocused....So, so easy....Staying connected is a challenge...I have definitely not mastered it, but I do know that I plan to be more intentional and thoughtful with my connections.  I love how God uses so many different things that work together to get my attention.  He is pretty awesome that way.  

So, my question to you...where do you struggle?  How does God speak into your life?  Do you hear him and feel him?  Are you in the desert too?

No comments:

Post a Comment