Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Forgiveness

Forgiveness....I have struggled with this over the years....Holding grudges, playing the victim card, feeling bitter.  I have prayed and worked for hours, weeks, years to forgive wrongs that have been done in the past.  I am struggling with it once again.  Forgiveness...In the past, I have said that you can forgive someone, but that does not mean you have to let them have a big part in your life or that you have to be chummy with them...But, now...I don't know... Does that philosophy align with God's standards?  I want it to be, because I guess really I don't want to let this person back into my life enough to hurt me again.  I don't want to trust them.  I don't want things like they used to be because frankly i got hurt in a huge way.  But, when I think about God and how he forgives...it isn't at arms length....when he forgives me, he does it in a close personal way.  He forgives all the way and is a God of second chances.  He forgives me when I mess up on purpose or not.  

  • Psalm 25:11 (NIRV)

    Lord, be true to your name. Forgive my sin, even though it is great.
  • Proverbs 10:12 (NIRV)

    Hate stirs up fights. But love erases all sins by forgiving them.
  • Proverbs 17:9 (NIRV)

    Those who erase a sin by forgiving it show love. But those who talk about it come between close friends.
  • Proverbs 19:11 (NIRV)

    A man's wisdom makes him patient. He will be honored if he forgives someone who sins against him.
    • Exodus 34:7 (NIRV)

      I continue to show my love to thousands of people. I forgive those who do evil. I forgive those who refuse to obey. And I forgive those who sin. But I do not let guilty people go without punishing them. I punish the children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren for the sin of their parents."
    • Genesis 50:17 (NIRV)

      He said, 'Here's what you must say to Joseph. Tell him, "I'm asking you to forgive your brothers. Forgive the terrible things they did to you. Forgive them for treating you so badly." ' Now then, please forgive our sins. We serve the God of your father." When their message came to Joseph, he sobbed.
    • Deuteronomy 15:1 (NIRV)

      At the end of every seven years you must forgive people what they owe you.
      • Matthew 6:14 (NIRV)

        "Forgive people when they sin against you. If you do, your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you.
      • Mark 11:25 (NIRV)

        And when you stand praying, forgive anyone you have anything against. Then your Father in heaven will forgive your sins." The Authority of Jesus Is Questioned
      • Luke 11:4 (NIRV)

        Forgive us our sins, as we also forgive everyone who sins against us. Keep us from falling into sin when we are tempted.' "
      • Colossians 3:13 (NIRV)

        Put up with each other. Forgive the things you are holding against one another. Forgive, just as the Lord forgave you.
        • Psalm 86:5 (NIRV)

          Lord, you are good. You are forgiving. You are full of love for all who call out to you.
        • Matthew 26:28 (NIRV)

          This is my blood of the new covenant. It is poured out to forgive the sins of many.
        • 2 Corinthians 2:7 (NIRV)

          Now you should forgive him and comfort him. Then he won't be sad more than he can stand.
        • Numbers 14:19 (NIRV)

          "Lord, your love is great. So forgive the sin of these people. Forgive them just as you have done from the time they left Egypt until now."
          • Psalm 130:4 (NIRV)

            But you forgive. So people have respect for you.
          • Matthew 6:15 (NIRV)

            But if you do not forgive people their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. Fasting
          • John 20:23 (NIRV)

            If you forgive anyone's sins, they are forgiven. If you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven." Jesus Appears to Thomas
          • 2 Corinthians 2:10 (NIRV)

            Anyone you forgive I also forgive. Was there anything to forgive? If so, I have forgiven it for your benefit, knowing that Christ is watching.
        • I am going to have to keep working on this....I think I am supposed to forgive all the way and embrace this person....I am not sure at all how to do this...but maybe in time my human heart will be able to fully do this...What about you...Who do you need to work on forgiving?  Have you been able to fully forgive those who have hurt you and what does that look like?  

No comments:

Post a Comment